Friday, August 28, 2009

Like Max

Have you ever had one of those days when the world is a place you'd like to step away from? I am having one of those days and when those days hit I start dreaming.
I have been dreaming about the book "Where the Wild Things Are" I am sure you know the one.Where Max is sent to bed and he sails away in a boat to an island full of fun loving monsters.
For just a little while I'd like to be Max who sailed away for awhile and then returned to find all was fine at home.
Before I sail away across the sea I ponder this.Is being sent to your room such a bad thing?All of your "stuff" is there.I'd actually like to be sent to my room for you see that's where I keep the books I am reading.While reading I can sink into the world of my book and return when I hear the all clear bell.
I could sail across some sea like Max.I have a friend with a boat that looks like Max's boat. A small wooden affair with a sail of cloth,I am sure he lend it to me."I won't be gone long" I'd say to the friend as I drifted on the tides.
Today I would not like to land on an isle of monsters,I am running away from the monster who's name today is "Life" so no monsters.How about an island that looks like Max's with palm tree groves and sand? On that place of solitude there could be a hut waiting for me.I'd like it to be just a platform with a palm frond roof,no walls so I can catch the breeze. A hammock sways as it hangs from the rafters gently rocking my latest book to be read.
Laying in the hammock,book in hand I slip into a blissful, restful spot.The hands of a clock turn as I turn the pages of my book,the page numbers growing and the hour later.My mind is empty of cares and I think of Max.
Towards the end of the book Max starts to miss home and knowing me I would too. I will have to climb back into the little boat and sail for home; across the waves with the wind to keep me company. The boat could land me at the foot of my bed with a smile on my face I'll step from the boat and know I have returned to home and life with a lower case "L"
G o ahead and send me to my room today,I'll be just fine there with my books and dreams of sailing off to ditant shores to my island with no monsters.

4 comments:

  1. Yes I can see you doing this and needing this to collect your self.

    very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings from Beaverton, Ontario! Just happened across your blog and thought I would say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rois, how many times a book has carried me far away from Life, and brought me back with a smile on my face!
    Yes, send me to my room...I don't mind it there at all!
    I thought of a verse when I was reading your post... one of my favorite ones...
    Pro 18:10 The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe.
    ***
    I found you from the MGCC blog... I came to thank you for your comment on my devotional this morning... I would have loved your Grandfather..and how right he is!

    ReplyDelete